Underwater Camera for Diving Reviews and Comparison 2016
The reason why you’ve come to Scuba Den is clear – you realize that choosing an underwater camera is not that simple. It is, in short, how to choose a new and latest underwater digital camera for diving.
To choose one of the underwater cameras, you need a great deal of attention and a precise caution. First, we must consider and assess our requirements. All digital underwater cameras can drop to a certain maximum depth. Any operation beyond this depth is not guaranteed, and this is indeed a risk that water might infiltrate into your underwater camera because of the higher pressure than that the device can withstand. Take great care in this indication, because it is the result of careful assessments carried out in the laboratory!
Underwater Diving Camera Comparison Chart 2016
|CCbetter Sports Action Camera|
|GeekPro 2.0 Plus|
|Intova NOVA HD|
|Kodak PIXPRO SP1|
|Canon PowerShot D30|
|Olympus Stylus 790SW|
|Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 16.1 MP|
|Ricoh WG-4 GPS black 16Digital Camera|
|SeaLife Micro HD+|
CCbetter ® Sports Action Camera CS710 12mp 120 Degree Waterproof Diving Video DVR (Yellow)Free shipping
- Super Lightweight 59 grams only; 1.5 inches LCD Display preview, 12 Megapixel CMOS Sensor with 120 degree wide-angle lens (fish-eye).
- Supports: Time Lapse, Digital video recording, Photo shooting,Motion detect,Panel Rotate( 180°).
- Powerful Heavy duty battery: 2 Pcs rechargeable batteries included for double recording time and double enjoyment.
- Data: Supports TF Card up to 32 GB (Class 10 or above, card is not included), Waterproof case resistant; 30 meters depth.
It is a very light weight action camera with a great number of options and features. My first thought for this camera is its amazing for the price. CCbetter has provided a top-notch action underwater camera that everyone can buy easily.
There are absolutely no zoom options whatsoever and that will be a drawback for some. It does not offer WiFi but its really not an issue as its all too easy to connect it with the laptop and look at all my videos.
Good for a light snorkeling or diving session. It’s good for beginners but if you are a pro, avoid this.
GeekPro 2.0 Plus Sports Camera Bundle with Battery, Bag and Accessories (15 Items)Free shipping
- GeekPro 2.0 Plus has almost every attachment you would need, it has wi-fi capabilities, its waterproof (while in its waterproof case) and is in full HD! You can loop videos, time lapse, continuous lapse, time stamp, take photos, play back and choose about 11 different languages.The most importand, it comes with battery replacement, comes in a hard carrying case shell for best protection and great storage everything has its sections
I was a bit skeptical at first but it surprised me with its high quality imagery and how it is built and the way it performs underwater. My goal is to use it primarily underwater and performed some testing about it today. It performed very well in both sound and video. The color is very accurate and works well with low lighting as well.
High quality colour, good at minimal light, easy make use of interface, incredible bundle of accessories, built in lcd screen, good battery life. The battery life is too good and they’re very easy to swap out.
Polaroid XS100 Extreme Edition HD 1080p 16MP Waterproof Sports Action Video Camera With Full Mounting Kit IncludedFree shipping
- Professional Sensor With Low-Light Performance Very light, Just 4.8 oz. Vibrates: Confirms Functions When Visual Confirmation Isn't Practical
- G-Sensor (Auto Rotation) for "which end is up" assurance Waterproof up to 30'/10m Distortion-Free Ultra Wide Angle Lens Provides a 170 Degrees of Coverage
- Aerodynamic Design and Shock-Proof Exterior Minimizes Wind Noise Single Button Record that's Easy and Ready for Action Video Options: 1080p, 960p, 720p
Great buy for casual diving and at a great price too.
That camera takes excellent videos. Low gentle, bright lights, underwater look wa y too good. Video quality and sound quality is good. Sound underwater is extremely muted but that is to be expected, however video quality underwater is as good as it is outside. The size is good and a lot of mounts work with this underwater camera.
I love the G sensor as it is sometimes too difficult to support this upright when diving with neoprene gloves. Underwater pics and videos usually are incredibly clear and vivid.
Intova NOVA HD Waterproof POV Sports Video Camera with LCD and Remote
- Rugged, durable, and waterproof to 330 feet; HD video resolution to 1080Pat30fps and photo resolution to 12MP; easy to use Intova operating system
- 2.4G 2-way remote control lets users snap photos and start and stop video recording remotely
- LCD screen acts as both a viewfinder and playback monitor; rechargeable Li-ion battery with 3-hour battery life with LCD off and 2-hours with LCD on
- 140-degree, point-of-view wide-angle lens; 4x digital zoom
The Nova HD is just about the best cameras I’ve ever used. The versatility is incredible. I’ve taken some great videos and images at 130′ below. Intova absolutely stands behind their products without doubt.
I can’t wait to try it more out there in the ocean. I’ve numerous accessories to help in using the camera in various situations, and them all work seamlessly. I might definitely purchase via Intova again.
I would recommend this camera to any kind of diver or action enthusiast who would like to catch the exciting areas of their adventure. Highly recommended.
Fujifilm XP70 16 MP Digital Camera with 2.7-Inch LCD (Yellow)
- Four-Way Protection: Waterproof to 33ft (10m), Shockproof to 5ft (1.5m), Freeze proof to 14 Degree (-10 DegreeC) and Sand/dustproof
- 16.4 megapixel CMOS sensor
- 5x optical zoom (28-140mm)
- Wireless connectivity for instant image and movie sharing
- Full HD movie capture
The camera feels stable and durable throughout the dive. It is quite compact, easily fitting inside the average compact point-and-shoot case or inside your pocket. It is a breeze to operate and includes a number of advanced functions in addition to effects.
I used this specific camera at nearly 30 feet of depth with no problem. Battery lifetime was good, also it was easy to operate underwater.
Picture quality is pretty good. The high quality of HD online video media actually surprised me. As did the particular shots I took outside the water. It also works well in low light conditions.
With a tough construction and overall protection from external elements, this will be a great camera for diving or anyplace where you may stress about breaking a typical camera.
Kodak PIXPRO SP1 Action Cam with Explorer Pack 14 MP Water/Shock/Freeze/Dust Proof, Full HD 1080p Video, Digital Camera and 1.5"...
- Advanced CMOS sensor with 14 million image pixels gives you more speed, quality and clarity than a traditional CCD sensor.
- Waterproof to 32ft/10m, shockproof to 6.5ft/2m, freeze proof to 14F/-10C and dustproof.
- Capture all the high speed action with 1080p full-HD video or full-res images in 10fps with a push of a button. Switch the setting to High Speed Movie in 120 fps for time-lapse videos in slo-mo with more cool and fun detail.
This is the really cool small camera. I was very impressed while using it as the size, the video quality the wireless control and file transfer were flawless. We used it every day and captured some good video, both over and under water.
I like the actual handheld pistol style attachment and then it becomes more of a tiny camcorder. It captures good photos and has variable options (wide, medium, extra, and water),
The camera is apparently very well built and perfect for diving. Very pleased while using the camera, attachments in addition to quality.
Canon PowerShot D30 Waterproof Digital Camera, BlueFree shipping
- 12MP 1/2.3" BSI-CMOS sensor
- 28-140mm F3.9-4.8 equivalent lens with optical image stabilization (5x optical zoom)
- ISO 100-3200
- 3" fixed LCD with 461,000 dots
- 1080/24p HD video plus super slow motion video at 640x480 (H.264)
- Waterproof to 25m / 82'
This is really a solid performer. It has so far lived up to Canon’s quality in construction. It fits nicely within the pocket of my BCD. The quality in the images, particularly macro, can be quite good for the price range.
This camera are unable to do much more costly options can do, but if you happen to be a casual shooter then it will work fine. It is way too better than a GoPro.
A few words for the depth ratings. The camera works fine as much as 25m depths. Beyond this in about 28m that becomes unresponsive. When we returned back to 25m, it started working perfectly again on the same dive. This is a great deal in 300 bucks and a solid performer. Plus it is really nice undertake a camera that you possibly can stash away and also use or not use on the dive without the hassle of carrying around a number of excess gear.
Olympus Stylus 790SW 7.1MP Waterproof Digital Camera with Dual Image Stabilized 3x Optical Zoom (Orange)
- 7.1-megapixel CCD captures enough detail for photo-quality 15 x 20-inch prints
- 2.5-inch HyperCrystal LCD screen minimizes glare
- 3x optical zoom; Face Detection technology
- Waterproof (down to 10 feet), freeze-proof, and crush-proof design
- 27 Shooting modes; in-camera editing options
We’ve taken many pictures both above and below water. It captures some great photos. You just have to be wary of the shutter lag which seems a tad bit longer.
- Wonderful underwater pictures and videos
- Huge lcd screen
- Multiple shooting modes
- Small, light, cheap
- Sturdy built
Another advantage is that you can use it straight out of the box – charge up the battery, fit a card and begin shooting. The settings and menu are very simple. Don’t forget to submerge this camera in freshwater after a diving session. Depth gauge stops in 30+ feet and it performs at even above double the given depth.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5A 16.1 MP Tough Digital Camera with 9.3x Intelligent Zoom (Blue)Free shipping
- 16.1 MP 1/2.33" CMOS sensor
- 28-128mm equivalent f/3.3-5.9 lens (4.6x optical zoom)
- 5-axis optical image stabilizer
- Up to 10 FPS continuous shooting (7 images max./full resolution) plus 40 FPS high-speed burst
- ISO 100-3200 (expandable to 6400)
- 1080/60p HD video (AVCHD/MPEG-4)
Depth gauge/altimeter rocks and the battery life was incredibly long. Lasted throughout the day after hundreds of pictures.
It is a great underwater video camera that also doubles as being a regular digital camera that is fantastic for use in moist, rainy, snowy conditions likewise. Highly recommended. This camera is quite versatile and really ruggedly built – has been through several exotic dive tours without any issue. Excellent picture and video quality. We would recommend improved storage or an SD card. All round excellent.
Ricoh WG-4 GPS black 16Digital Camera with 4x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom with 3-Inch LCD (Black)
- A Backlit 16 megapixel CMOS sensor, coupled with the new-generation imaging engine delivers a top sensitivity of ISO 6401
- An enhanced waterproof construction allows for a depth of 45 feet, shockproof, ruggedized design protects from drops up to 6.5 feet, Cold-resistant to sub-freezing temperatures of 14 degrees F (minus 10 degrees C)
- The optical 4X zoom lens offers a high-performance, large aperture of F2.0, six LED Macro Lights around the circumference of the lens barrel allows for brighter, uniform macro illumination
This camera is awesome. It is rugged and waterproof so it holds up to help daily life and use it on holiday at the lake or in the pool. The small lights across the front for microscopic mode great. The images seem quite clear.
This video camera looks bulkier but tougher. We didn’t have any difficulty with water leakage or anything else. It was a bit heavy. I kind involving liked how this had a specific symbol helping you know whether it had acquired the GPS UNIT signal.
SeaLife Micro HD+ 32GB Wi-Fi Underwater Digital Camera Waterproof up to 200 ft. (60m)
- 13 Megapixels for sharp, high-resolution pictures - 32GB internal memory
- Full 1080p HD video - "Piano Key" controls
- 140° Fisheye Lens - Permanently sealed & waterproof to 200 ft. / 60m
- Waterproof USB Contacts - 2400mAh internal lithium rechargeable
- Rapid Fire mode - Built-in Wi-Fi
We used it for taking snapshots of sea life and the usual underwater pics. What I truly appreciate most is just not having to stress about it flooding or maybe fogging up. Battery life is actually decent and operation is super simple. I like the quick setup menus for when I’m in a hurry.
This camera worked good. It allowed us to take some good snaps with good color correction. The current focal length is wonderful for wide shots, say an entire coral head.
What to look for when Buying a Underwater Diving Camera
- CCD sensor – A device that allows the capture of one or more images. It acts as if it were a film of a non-digital camera. The higher the number of megapixels, the higher the quality of the image.
- Depth – Maximum depth below the sea level up to which the operation of the digital camera is guaranteed. It is often referred to as waterproof up to a certain depth.
- With increasing depth, lighting conditions worsen. A good underwater camera must generate true color images that impress with their sharpness. The image is characterized by elements such as a natural reproduction of the subject, the correct display of color and good contrast.
- To create stunning images, the lens of the underwater camera must be particularly bright. It should be equipped with an image stabilizer. This prevents blur in image by the water currents.
- An optical zoom is standard in good underwater camera. This is a mechanically adjustable lens system, whereby distant objects can be displayed in an enlarged manner.
- In addition the camera must be watertight. The deeper the dive, the higher the pressure on the camera body.
- A large and clear display is essential in photo tours underwater because due to the goggles, the photographer can not look through an optical viewfinder.
- Last but not least, the camera should be operaable even with neoprene gloves. Small buttons can get difficult to operate in currents.
Challenges while doing Underwater Photography
Your underwater camera is not only limited by the dangerous presence of water but a host of other things. The various salts can ruin the mechanisms or the camera’s case. This, undoubtedly, is one of the main difficulties, together with the special attention to be given to the increased level of pressure you have in depth.
There are also difficulties in terms of photographs taken naked and raw. There are some special features that make shooting underwater complex. From this point of view just think that the water absorbs some of the warm colors, such as orange, red or yellow.
But still, it is possible that the photographs will show a predominance of blue color. Thus, flash is present in most digital underwater cameras including the economic ones. Alternatively, it is possible to use alternative sources of light such as spotlights.
It must be remembered that the presence of water between the lens and the object to be photographed entails a reduction of contrast and sharpness of the image, which implies the need to pay attention to a number of variables.
Underwater Cameras – Different Price Segments
It may well happen that, among those who approach for the first time to purchase an underwater camera, there is also those who do not have the slightest idea of what it costs to buy one of the models of this specific type of cameras. We therefore propose here to outline some general criteria and guidelines, so that later you can easily explore at your leisure.
Without any doubt, you can buy digital cameras at low prices. This type of choice is certainly recommended for amateurs , that is, to those who simply want to take some nice souvenir photos of their vacation or a snorkeling session. In these cases, an economical underwater camera is certainly sufficient.
For those who have more professional divers or just want to take high quality pictures, there is no doubt that you should turn to a different price range. You need to buy a camera with a greater amount of megapixels and that is able to go down to deeper.